10 YEARS AGO
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Grandson faces murder charges
The 18-year-old grandson of the woman who was found buried on her rural property on County Line Road near Pleasant Hill on November 13 was charged with her death last week.
Jackson County Circuit Court records show that Tyler E. Toomay, Pleasant Hill, was charged on Wednesday, Nov. 24, with felony second degree murder.
A cash only bond was set at $250,000.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office received a missing persons report about the woman on November 13.
A search warrant was granted and the Missouri Search & Rescue K9 Team discovered the remains of Connie J. Searling, 62, buried behind her rural home north of Pleasant Hill at 30106 County Line Road.
Detectives launched an investigation into the death, but no charges were filed against the grandson until results of an autopsy by the Jackson County Medical Examiner were released.
When his grandmother's body was found, Toomay was already being held by Jackson County authorities for receiving a television set that had reportedly been stolen from the home,
Neighbors said the woman had lived on County Line Road for about 15 years.
50 YEARS AGO
Thursday, December 3, 1970
High school is burglarized Thanksgiving
A break-in early Thanksgiving morning at the high school netted the burglar or burglars an Olympia typewriter with an 18 inch carriage was taken. Slover said a musical instrument and an adding machine were left outside in the hall, possibly because the intruder was spooked.
Property damage included a knob broken off the vault, but it was not entered. Method of entry was not discovered, but the burglar left by the north door. Slover said several prints had been lifted, and the investigation is continuing.
80 YEARS AGO
Friday, November 29, 1940
COUNTY HOME INMATE CRITICALLY BURNED
David W. Stark, 61, Former Senator, Had Cleaned His Bed With Gasoline.
David W. Stark, 61, an inmate of the Cass County home, was critically burned shortly before 8 o'clock Wednesday morning in a fire that destroyed his and another bed before it was put out.
Stark, who formerly lived at west Line and who had served two terms in the state legislature as representative from this county and one term as senator from the 17th district, had been cleaning his bed with gasoline. He then sat down upon it and lit his pipe . The gasoline blazed up and stark was badly burned about the upper half of his body before Jake Welborn, superintendent of the home, was able to get to him and smother out the flames. He was taken to the Bell Memorial hospital in Kansas City, Ka., for treatment.
The Harrisonville fir department answered the alarm to the home, which is a short distance north of the county seat, and the fire was extinguished before it had done any great damage to the building.
The former state senator became mentally unbalanced some 20 years ago, and was placed in the state hospital at Nevada. Some years ago he was returned to Cass County and became an inmate at the home. His wife, the late Mrs. Martha Stark, was fatally burned a number of years ago when an oil stove exploded at the family home near West Line.